SRINAGAR: People’s Democratic Party (PDP) chief and former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Saturday condemned the recent terror attack in the Kellam area of Kulgam, where two non-local workers were killed, terming the incident a “security lapse” and calling for a high-level investigation.
Expressing her grief over the targeted killing, Mufti highlighted the plight of the workers who travel long distances to earn a livelihood.
“People come here to work as labourers… Why do they travel so far? Because, perhaps, there is no employment for them back home. They find work here in Kashmir, yet they are being gunned down like this. I have no words to condemn this incident,” the PDP chief said.
The former Chief Minister further raised questions regarding the security apparatus in the region, asking how militants were able to carry out the attack despite the heavy presence of security forces.
“I believe there is a lapse in security somewhere. I request that the local government here should provide compensation to these victims in addition to whatever compensation their home state provides. A proper investigation must be conducted… I believe the government needs to examine where the lapses are occurring how terrorists managed to come in and kill two unarmed individuals despite the presence of the Army, CRPF, and police,” she said.

