GOA: Senior Goa Police official and the former investigation officer in the alleged sexual assault case involving Tarun Tejpal, Sunita Sawant on Thursday welcomed the Bombay High Court’s decision convicting the former Tehelka editor-in-chief in the 2013 case. Swant stated that the trial court had failed to properly appreciate the evidence and that the High Court rightly set aside the acquittal.
Speaking to reporters outside the court, Sawant said the State had challenged the acquittal because it believed the trial court’s order was “perverse”.
“We had already challenged the trial court’s order because it was definitely a perverse order,” she said. “The court has heard arguments on the quantum of sentence and will pronounce the verdict at 2:30 pm. The minimum sentence under Section 376 is 10 years of imprisonment, while the maximum is life imprisonment. Let’s wait for the court’s order.”
Sawant further highlighted that the investigation had been conducted thoroughly and that all evidence gathered during the probe was placed before the court.

