JAMMU: The Jammu Municipal Corporation (JMC) on Sunday launched a major safety and clearance drive at Parade Sabzi Mandi to remove unsafe and dilapidated shops, clearing the way for the redevelopment and renovation of the vegetable market.
The drive has been undertaken on the directions of JMC Commissioner Dr Devansh Yadav with the objective of improving infrastructure and creating a safer and more organised environment for vendors, shoppers and the general public.

The foundation stone for the redevelopment project was laid on June 22, 2026, by the MLA from Jammu East in the presence of senior officials of Jammu Smart City Limited (JSCL) and the Jammu Municipal Corporation.
Officials said active civil works had been temporarily affected by the ongoing monsoon season. However, the civic body accorded priority to dismantling and removing structures identified as hazardous and structurally unsafe.
The measure was taken as a precaution to protect the lives and property of shopkeepers, visitors and the public, particularly amid risks posed by heavy rainfall and possible structural collapse.
With the unsafe structures now being cleared, the JMC said the site is being prepared for the next phase of the redevelopment project.
Civil and renovation works at Parade Sabzi Mandi will commence as soon as weather conditions become conducive, officials said.

