NEW DELHI: Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi on Sunday launched a sharp attack on the United States and Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the death of three Indian sailors in a US military strike on an oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman, accusing the Centre of failing to defend India’s interests and dignity.
In a post on X, Rahul Gandhi said, “Just days after the murder of three Indian sailors in American attacks – no remorse, no apology. On the contrary, America has continued issuing orders.”
Referring to remarks attributed to US authorities, Rahul Gandhi added, “Read their words: ‘Comply immediately with the orders of the US military.’ No violation ‘will be tolerated.’”
Escalating his criticism of the government, Rahul Gandhi said, “A free country would never tolerate such language. But our Compromised PM? Silent. They listen like an obedient servant and comply with the orders. Compromised PM will not defend the country’s honor—because those who insult the country are under their control.”
The Congress leader’s remarks came in the wake of the deaths of three Indian sailors aboard the Palau-flagged oil tanker MT Settebello, which was struck by US forces in the Gulf of Oman. According to US Central Command, the vessel was targeted after allegedly failing to comply with directions issued during the ongoing American naval blockade targeting Iranian-linked shipping.
The tanker had 24 Indian crew members on board. While 21 crew members were rescued, three sailors were later confirmed dead. The deceased were identified as Chief Engineer Patnala Suresh, Deck Cadet Aditya Sharma, and Engine Fitter Shivanand Chaurasiya.
Following the incident, the Ministry of External Affairs summoned US Charge d’Affaires Jason Meeks and lodged a strong diplomatic protest over the attacks on commercial vessels carrying Indian crew members in the region. Reports indicated that this was the second time Jason Meeks had been summoned by the Ministry of External Affairs after another vessel with Indian crew members was targeted earlier in the week.
India has called for an end to attacks on commercial shipping and emphasized the safety of Indian seafarers operating in the Gulf region, while closely monitoring developments amid escalating tensions linked to the US blockade and the broader Middle East crisis.

