Death toll in Sri Lanka blasts rises to 310, 40 people under arrest

COLOMBO: The toll from a string of deadly suicide bomb attacks in Sri Lanka has risen to 310, with several people dying of their injuries overnight, a police spokesman said on Tuesday.

Around 500 people were wounded in the blasts, Ruwan Gunasekera said in a statement.

He added that 40 people were now under arrest in connection with the attacks, which Sri Lanka's government has blamed on a previously little-known local Islamist group, National Thowheeth Jama'ath.

 

Fast, accurate and updated real time local news is available on your smartphone and tablet.
STAY CONNECTED EVERYWHERE YOU GO!

Author

Agencies