Ten most read stories of 2016
Dec 30, 2016
1. World's cheapest smartphone launched in India, costs just Rs. 251
A little-known Noida-based company captured the world's imagination by introducing a $4 smartphone - but the excitement didn't last for long.
2. PV Sindhu the first Indian woman to win Olympic silver medal
The 21-year-old is the first Indian badminton player to reach the final in Olympics and the youngest Indian to make a podium finish in an individual event at the games.
3. PM Modi announces notes ban in anti-corruption move, millions face cash crunch
On November 8, Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared a ban on the highest currency notes, Rs. 500 and 1,000, which wiped out 86 per cent of the cash in circulation.
4. Reliance Jio enters market with free usage 'welcome offer'
Reliance's much awaited telecom venture launched and shook things up in the telecom sector.
5. New 500 and 2000 rupee notes issued. What they look like
The new Rs. 500 notes are part of the Mahatma Gandhi series of bank notes and carry a picture of Delhi's Red Fort. The 2000 rupee note carries an image of the Mangalyaan to celebrate India's Mars mission.
6. Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after over two months in hospital
The four-time Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa died of a cardiac arrest on December 5 after two months of intense speculation over her health. Many were booked for "spreading rumours" about her health.
7. Sasikala Natarajan's alleged midnight coup stunned Jayalalithaa's party
Sasikala Natarajan's alleged midnight coup stunned Jayalalithaa's party
Jayalalithaa's closest friend Sasikala Natarajan reportedly asked party lawmakers to sign blank pages and maneuvered a power transfer which ended with an oath ceremony for O Panneerselvam after midnight.
8. In 2016 state polls, BJP took Assam, Jayalalithaa and Mamata both won big
The BJP took power in Assam and West Bengal and Tamil Nadu retained their chief ministers Mamata Banerjee and Jayalalithaa in polls that saw the Congress losing two states, Assam and Kerala.
9. India carries out surgical Strikes across the Line Of Control to target terror launch pads
The strikes were seen as a response to the terror attack on Kashmir's Uri base, in which 19 army men were killed.
10. Dipa Karmakar misses medal but is best Indian gymnast in Olympic history
The 23-year-old from Tripura finished fourth with her risky "Produnova" vault. She is the first Indian to qualify for the finals in her first Olympics.