Dec 22, 2016
Tasty and delicious Indian deep fried sweet.
- Refined flour (maida) 1 cup
- Yogurt 1/2 cup
- Sugar 3 cups
- Milk 1 tablespoon
- Saffron (kesar) a few
- Ghee for deep-frying
1. In a large bowl, whisk refined flour, yogurt and sufficient water to a smooth and pouring consistency batter. Cover and keep in a warm place to ferment for 24 hours.
2. Beat the batter with your hands again for 15 minutes. Cook sugar with 2 cups water in a deep non-stick pan on high heat, stirring continuously, till the sugar dissolves.
3. Add milk and when the scum rises to the top, collect it with a ladle and discard.
4. Add saffron and cook, stirring, till the syrup reaches one string consistency. Keep the syrup warm. Heat sufficient ghee in a kadai on medium heat.
5. Pour some batter onto a jalebi cloth, gather the edges and make a tight potli.
6. Squeeze round spirals into the hot ghee and deep fry, turning them over gently a few times, till they are evenly golden and crisp.
7. Drain and soak in sugar syrup for 2-3 minutes. Take them out of the syrup and serve hot..