8 things to know about P.V. Sindhu
Aug 20, 2016
Pusarla Venkata Sindhu, young badminton sensation recently won silver for the nation at Rio Olmypics and scripted history by becoming the first Indian badminton player to get silver in Olympics while playing against world no.1 badminton player Carolina Marin. She has taken the badminton a notch higher which will inspire many young shuttlers who would now look up to Sindhu for aggressive beat downs in the court.
1. Birthplace: Pusarla Venkata Sindhu was born on 5 July, 1995 in Hyderabad and she started playing badminton when she was just six years old.
2. Family: Sindhu was born to P.V. Ramana and P. Vijaya who were excellent volleyball players. Her father is an Arjuna awardee and her mother, P. Vijaya used to work in Indian Railways from which she took voluntary retirement to take care of Sindhu. Sindhu has an elder sister as well who was a national level handball player. P.V. Divya, her sister, gave up sports to pursue her career as a doctor.
3. Sportsman spirit: Being born in a sports loving family, Sindhu and her sister were taken to IAS Officers’ Club when they were kids. Later after noticing her interest towards the game, a coach advised Sindhu’s mother to allow her to play badminton.
4. Coaching: In early years of her career, Sindhu had her coaching from India’s renowned coaches, S.M. Arif , Govardhan Reddy and Mehboob Ali. Later in the year 2004, she came under the guardianship of India’s ace shuttler and former All England Badminton champion, Pullela Gopichand who has helped her reach to this level today.
5. Medals Tally: P.V. Sindhu is a two-time bronze winner at World Badminton Championship in the year 2013 and 2014. She has also won Macau Open Grand Prix Open and that too three times in a row. Sindhu has also received an Arjuna award at a very young age of 18 years.
6. Advantage: Sindu is about five feet and eleven inches tall which makes her the tallest international shuttler and her height does give her an edge over others in the game.
7. Expensive player: As per reports, Sindhu is considered as the third most expensive player in the badminton field after Malaysian Lee Chong Wei and India’s Saina Nehwal.
8. Favourites: Sindhu loves watching movies. Her favourite stars include Mahesh Babu and Prabhas. Besides she is a foodie who relishes Hyderabadi “dum biryani with mutton keema and fish” prepared by her mother.